Yields 18 regular muffins, or 12 regular and 12 mini muffins.
To make these muffins, you need:
- 1 and 1/2 cups oats (old fashioned or quick)
- 2 and 2/3 cups all purpose whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk (whatever you have on hand, I use skim)
- 1/4 cup canola oil ( I use first press)
- 1/4 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi sweet or 70% cocoa chocolate chips
In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Stir the egg mixture into the oats mixture until moistened.
Pour batter into greased muffin tin. I use 1/4 cup per muffin for regular sized muffins. For mini muffins, 1 heaping tablespoon.
Now, here is the secret! preheat your oven to 425 for regular sized muffins. Bake for 5 minutes @ 425, then turn oven down to 375 for 15 to 18 minutes.
Starting the cooking process at a high heat like this provides for a fluffy, muffin with a high rise. Because we all know the muffin top is the best part!
Bake mini muffins at 375 for 12 minutes.
These muffins freeze beautifully, in case you were wondering!