Thursday 26 February 2015

Oatmeal Muffins

I always pack my daughters a "grain snack" in their lunches, but I do not like to buy the processed granola bars/cereal bars in stores. I prefer to control the level of sugar my girls consume, plus I get to sneak in some healthier ingredients  ;) I add a mere 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to these, because everything is better with chocolate!
These oatmeal muffins have become their favorite snack.  I hope you enjoy them as much as my girls do!
Yields 18 regular muffins, or 12 regular and 12 mini muffins.

To make these muffins, you need:

- 1 and 1/2 cups oats (old fashioned or quick)
- 2 and 2/3 cups all purpose whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk (whatever you have on hand, I use skim)
- 1/4 cup canola oil ( I use first press)
- 1/4 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi sweet or 70% cocoa chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a separate bowl, combine milk, eggs, apple sauce, oil and vanilla.
Stir the egg mixture into the oats mixture until moistened.
Add in the chocolate chips!
Pour batter into greased muffin tin.  I use 1/4 cup per muffin for regular sized muffins. For mini muffins, 1 heaping tablespoon. 
Now, here is the secret!  preheat your oven to 425 for regular sized muffins.  Bake for 5 minutes @ 425, then turn oven down to 375 for 15 to 18 minutes. 
Starting the cooking process at a high heat like this provides for a fluffy, muffin with a high rise. Because we all know the muffin top is the best part!

Bake mini muffins at 375 for 12 minutes.

These muffins freeze beautifully, in case you were wondering!  

ENJOY!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment