Wednesday 4 November 2015

Apple Cranberry Muffins

I just wanted to take a minute to say a very sincere Thank You to all of you for taking the time to look at my blog. I truly appreciate the time you have taken to look me up, and I hope that some of these recipes have made it into your kitchens and have been enjoyed! I hope to be growing this blog with the purpose of feeding my family and helping you feed your families a little better. :)
 Before I get into muffins.... I am going off topic with an amazing homemade kitchen and bathroom cleaner I found this week. I use a lot of vinegar to clean my home, and have been using mostly home made cleaners for years, with the exception of my bathrooms. I somehow believed bathrooms needed more "heavy duty" cleaners in order to truly get the job done... I stand corrected friends!!! This stuff is incredible!!!  Spray this stuff, let it sit for a few minutes and it just MELTS the grime away!!! Best of all, it smells amazing! It's funny how something so small can make me so happy! I hate cleaning bathrooms, but this cleaner actually made it kinda fun (I cannot believe I just wrote that!) So get yourself a spray bottle and mix:

  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup dish soap (I use Dawn)
  • 1 1/4 cup water 
  • 2 tsp baking soda
Pour all the liquids into a bottle and add baking soda.  It will foam up like crazy, so I learned to add the soda at the last second while I am in the bathroom. Put the spray trigger on the bottle quickly and direct it at the shower wall, as it will automatically start to spray out of the bottle due to pressure.  Spray the entire area that is to be cleaned, allow it to sit for a few minutes and gently scrub any areas needed.  Be sure to thoroughly rinse the shower so it isn't slippery.

Ok!  Now for Muffins!!!  I had a bunch of apples in my fridge that no one was eating, so, like everything else in my home, I had to use them up!  I made a large batch of whole wheat muffins and froze them.  They have been perfect in lunchboxes, especially since we just finished halloween and my kids got WAYYYY to much candy!  I am glad to be able to pack them something that they will eat and enjoy!  This will make up to 36 muffins, or you can also make it into a loaf if you prefer, baking times will change :)
To make Apple Cranberry Muffins, you will need:

  • 4 cups whole wheat flour (spooned and swept)
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups yogurt
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 4 apples, peeled and grated
  • 1 cup chopped cranberries
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
In a second bowl (or large measuring cup), combine all wet ingredients, eggs and grated apple, whisk to combine.
 Make a well in the flour, pour the wet into the dry.
Stir until just combined, gently stir in cranberries.
Distribute batter into greased muffin tins ( I used 1 12 cup muffin tin and 1 mini loaf pan).
 Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Enjoy!!!!


1 comment: