Tuesday 15 December 2015

Versatile Morning Glory Muffins

These days I am getting up very early with my Hubby to get him off to work (he used to work from home, so this is a huge adjustment!!!)  I have to say, it has been kinda nice having that extra time in the morning even though I am not completely thrilled with an alarm clock going off at 5am!!  The bonus is I am able to get completely ready for the day and even bake fresh muffins for my kids lunches before they even wake up.  I feel so accomplished by 7am!!!  The other beautiful thing about muffins is that there is no mixers needed, so it is a fairly quiet baking project that whips up in no time and doesn't wake up sleeping children!!!
I wanted to use up some apples in my fridge and found this old recipe that I haven't used in years, and I have no idea why I had forgotten about this one, it is one of my favorites!  I absolutely love morning glory muffins, and this particular recipe is so versatile, I can't even tell you how many modifications I have made to it over the years and it always produces tender, delicious healthy muffins, perfect for lunchboxes and also wonderful for a light breakfast or middle of the day snack with a nice cup of tea.  There is a lot of cinnamon in these- It is not a typo!!  and all that cinnamon is what makes these muffins absolutely irresistible!!  Whip up a batch now,or wait until the morning and enjoy them warm out of the oven, they are worth getting up a little early for!!!

To make Morning Glory Muffins, you will need:
  • 2 cups whole wheat all purpose flour, spoon and level measurement
  • 1/2 cup sugar 
  • 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
  • 2 Tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 large carrot, finely grated
  • 2 apples, peeled and grated
  • 1 cup raisins, optional, if using, soak raisins in water for 10 minutes to plump them a bit
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream, yogurt or apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup canola oil (I use first press)
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  spray muffin pans with cooking spray and set aside.  For me this recipe makes 12 regular sized muffins + 6 mini muffins, filling the cups 2/3 full.
In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, sour cream, oil and vanilla, set aside.
No nuts in this batch as they are going to a nut free school
In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, wheat germ and nuts, if using.
 Stir in egg mixture until just combined,
no raisins, here!  My middle daughter won't touch them!
then stir in carrot, apples and well drained raisins, if using.  Do not over mix!!

Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin pans and bake or 15 - 20 minutes (for regular sized muffins), or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pan and then promptly remove muffins from pan to completely cool on wire racks.

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment