Tuesday 23 June 2015

Whoopie Pie Cake


Before I even begin this post, I need to say there is absolutely nothing "better for you" about this recipe!  It is purely indulgent.  But sometimes, that is ok!  My daughter requested this cake for her birthday, so this is what she got.
I found this recipe on another blog I follow, "http://cookiesandcups.com"  and I followed the instructions fairly closely, including the boxed cake mix.  I was concerned that a 'scratch cake' might be a little too delicate and would break in the assembly of this cake, and since it was for my daughter's birthday, I didn't want to risk it.  The only thing I did change was to make my own Marshmallow Fluff, as opposed to buying a jar of the stuff.
We enjoyed this on her birthday and I froze the rest for the weekend.  It froze beautifully!  So treat yourself and your family a little, and freeze the rest for another day or a special lunchbox treat.  Your Kids will love it!

To make Whoopie Pie Cake, you will need:

      Cake 

  • 1 box Devil Food Cake mix,+ ingredients required on box
  • 1 extra egg
     Filling

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups marshmallows
  • 2 tsp simple syrup ( 2 tsp sugar + 2 tsp hot water - stir until sugar is dissolved)
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
     Ganache

  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp strong brewed coffee (I used decaf)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla

For Cake:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
 Line 2 9x13 pans with parchment paper, or grease and dust with cocoa powder.
Prepare oven according to package directions, adding extra egg.  Divide batter between the pans and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely.

For Filling:  In a double boiler, place marshmallows, stir to melt.  Add the simple syrup.  This will be very sticky and maybe a little hard to work with.  I added about 2 tsp of the butter while mixing, to make it a little more manageable.
 Remove mixture from heat when marshmallows are melted  and syrup is incorporated.  Mix in butter, then icing sugar (I used my kitchenaid mixer for this).

For Ganache:  Simmer whipping cream over medium heat, stirring constantly until just before boiling (do not allow cream to hit boiling!).  Add in sifted cocoa and remaining ingredients until well incorporated.  Allow to cool a bit to thicken (it will stay fairly runny).

Once the cake is cooled, lift out of pan with overhanging parchment paper and place on serving tray.
 Spread Filling over cake, then carefully place the other cake on top of filling.
 Pour Ganache over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the side a little.
Refrigerate until ready to serve, and refrigerate or freeze leftovers.


ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment