Thursday 19 November 2015

Chocolate Zucchini Mini Muffins

It has been unseasonably warm in my part of the world and I have been thoroughly enjoying it!!!  I found zucchini on sale at my local produce store, and since the weather has been spring like, I thought it only fitting to leave the pumpkin and apples out of the baking for the week and get some zucchini in!  My family will not eat this lovely vegetable unless it is grated into baked goods, and these muffins are just so yummy, and so full of good stuff, who am I to deprive them?
I have always made this recipe as mini muffins, but I had a little batter left over and thought I would try baking it as a cookie..
It didn't turn out badly!  Obviously a very cakey consistency, but it was nice as a little treat to go with my afternoon coffee  :)

To make Chocolate Zucchini Mini Muffins, you will need:

  • 2 cups whole wheat flour, spoon and sweep measurement
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • 1 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup minus 2 Tbsp greek yogurt. 
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 1/3 cup apple sauce
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 1 small zucchini, grated 
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (mini chips prefered)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder and soda.
In a large measuring cup, measure 1 cup of greek yogurt and remove 2 Tbsp.  Add the 2 Tbsp milk and stir (this is a wonderful replacement for buttermilk, so if you have buttermilk on hand you can use that- I prefer to use greek yogurt for the protein content). Add in the applesauce, eggs and vanilla and stir to thoroughly combine.
Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture
and add zucchini and chocolate chips,
stirring until just combined.
Pour batter into muffin tray
I forgot to add chocolate chips to my batter, and only had regular sized chips in my pantry, so I just added a few to the tops
(I use a small cookie scoop- it ensures my muffins are all the exact same size and is wayyy less messy than trying to pour batter into these little cups!!!
Bake for 20 minutes, until tops bounce back when touched and toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment