Friday 4 December 2015

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

As we are heading into the Christmas season I know everyone is posting all the Christmas goodies imaginable!  Tis the Season after all!!  However, our kiddies are still in school, which means they need healthy lunches, which in turn means I am making whole wheat muffins.  When I asked this week what they would like in their lunches I got a unanimous "Blueberry muffins!!!" Unanimous does not happen around here very often, I am lucky to get 2 out of 3, usually it is 3 very different requests (which is why I very rarely ask).  I did ask this week because I just didn't know what I wanted to make, so I took a chance.  :)
I do love these muffins and had kinda forgotten about them.  They have been nick named 'to die for',  which may be a little exaggeration... I'll leave that to you to decide  :)
They are however light and fluffy with the perfect amount of blueberries, perfectly sweetened as well as a very forgiving batter... don't want to use a lot of oil (as I don't)  sub in apple sauce or even sour cream (as I did)  no egg?  use flax seed! I made this recipe twice this week as my hubby and I ate some and I didn't have enough to get through the week, and the second time I made them I increased the recipe slightly as I wanted to muffins to be a little bigger, And they were perfect!
I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!!!

To make Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins, you will need:

  • 2 cups whole wheat all purpose flour, spoon and sweep measurement
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup + 7 1/2 tsp first press canola oil ( I used 1/3 cup oil + remainder sour cream)
  • 1 large egg + 2 tsp ground flax
  • 1/3 + 1/4 cup milk 
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. grease muffin cups and set aside.
Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl (or measuring cup) combine oil, egg, flax and milk, set aside.

In a small bowl add blueberries (I used frozen and did not thaw them!)  Add about 1/4 cup of the flour mixture to the blueberries and stir to coat.
Pour the oil mixture into the remaining flour mixture and stir to combine, but do not over mix!
Gently fold in the blueberries, being careful not to overmix!
divide batter among 12 muffin cups evenly and bake for 20 minutes,
until tops are lightly browned and the center muffin springs back when gently pressed, or check doneness with a toothpick :)
Allow to cool 5 minutes in pan, then remove the muffins from pan to continue cooling on a wire rack

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment